Please see the list below of frequently asked questions regarding our facility, the programs, history, and more.
Mr. Yearley owned a successful sewer and water construction company in Toronto. In 1961 he retired to the area. Using local labourers as well as men and equipment from the Yearley and Reed Construction Company of Toronto, he constructed three ponds and stocked them with trout. These ponds were completed during the mid-1960’s and are now a part of a large tract of crown land adjacent to the Yearley Centre.
The former Huntsville Board of Education first used the facilities in the late 1960’s for outdoor education. Later, the Muskoka Board of Education expanded this use until it became apparent that larger facilities were needed.
During the summer of 1981, three portable classroom buildings were moved to the site. Two of these were converted into girls’ and boys’ dormitories and the third into a kitchen dining area. The old garage, which is located next to the original house, has been converted into washrooms, complete with toilets, basins and showers.
The Yearley Outdoor Education Centre is now part of the TLDSB and hosts approximately 1500 students per year.