Trillium Lakelands District School Board’s OYAP (Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program), encourages young students to consider a career in the skilled trades. Presentations take place in every Grade 8 and 10 Careers class, promoting careers in the skilled trades and stressing good work habits and ethics.
- Explore career options while attending high school.
- Complete basic level of trade school at college.
- Enjoy the possibility to earn while you learn as a provincially registered apprentice.
- Get hands on training in an “out-of-school” environment.
- Obtain skills that are in demand today and in the future.
- Make the transition from school to work more easily.
Skilled Trades include:
- Aircraft Maintenance
- Appliance Service Technician
- Auto Body Repairer
- Brick and Stone Mason
- Construction and Maintenance
- Marine Engine
- Facilities Maintenance
- Farm Equipment Mechanic
- General Carpenter
- Heavy Equipment Mechanic
- Dairy Herds Person
- Motorcycle Mechanic
- Industrial Mechanic
- Industrial Woodworker
- Tool and Die Maker
- Child and Youth Worker
- Early Childhood Educator
- Educational Assistant
- Sprinkler and Fire Protection Installer
- Technology Analyst – Network
Grade 11 and 12 students have a number of opportunities to begin their apprenticeship training while still in high school. The Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program allows students an opportunity to work in a skilled trade through co-operative education classes and to register as an apprentice in over 130 different trades, while working towards their diploma.
City of Kawartha Lakes students can obtain their level one Basic training through Fleming College in Lindsay. Currently students can complete their level one training in the following trades Carpentry, Cook, Auto service Technician, General Machinist, Commercial Vehicle Service Technician.
Support for students is given throughout the entire process including finding co-op placements and arranging transportation to and from the college, and placements.
If you are an employer and wish to enquire about the services Job Connect can provide to you, call the Job Connect office, before you hire your employee.
There are Job Connect offices in the following locations:
- Peterborough (and area) 705-748-9110 / 705-749-5530 extension 2261
- Lindsay (and area) 705-328-0180 / 705-328-1766
- Cobourg (and area) 905-372-6865 extension 238 / 905-372-6865 extension 238
- Haliburton (and area) 705-457-2020 / 705-457-2020
- Lakefield (and area) 705-652-7029 / 705-652-7029
- Port Hope (and area) 905-885-4842 / 905-885-4842
- Muskoka (and area) Georgian College 705-329-3102
By calling these offices, you will be set up with an employment counselor who will assess your employment needs. Depending on your situation, we have a variety of services to aid in your job search.
There are Summer Jobs Services offices in the following locations:
Peterborough (and area)
Employment Planning & Counseling 705-748-9110
Peterborough (and area)
Sir Sandford Fleming College 705-749-5530 extension 2222
Lindsay (and area)
Victoria County Career Services & Sir Sandford Fleming College 705-324-5151 (alternate 705-328-0180)
Cobourg (and area)
Sir Sandford Fleming College 905-372-6865 extension 241 (alternate extension 238)
Haliburton (and area)
Sir Sandford Fleming College 705-457-2020
Port Hope (and area)
Durham College 905-885-4842
Muskoka (and area)
Georgian College 705-329-3102