In cooperation with our homes and the community, Wilberforce Elementary School strives to provide a safe, secure, and welcoming environment where students can learn, grow, and reach their full potential – academically, physically, socially, and emotionally.
Wilberforce ES is located in the picturesque Municipality of Highlands East in the Haliburton Highlands area. Students enjoy taking turns to ring a hand-pulled bell on the roof of the school. Wilberforce ES is a grade 4 to 8 school.
We have a Balanced Day schedule which incorporates three 100 minute periods with two nutrition and recess breaks. We are a small rural school and thoroughly enjoy our extended family atmosphere in our small supportive community-based school.
School Council meets regularly and there is a good working relationship between the school and the community. Volunteers are invaluable in their assistance in the school and on field trips. Volunteers/parents also enable groups and activities to function (library improvement, Chess Club, curling, skating).
- Regular instructional program from grades 4 to 8
- Healthy snack program everyday
- Computer lab in library
- OPP delivers DARE Program for grade 6 students
- Resource program
- Character Education
- Artists in the School program
- After school recreation at Community Centre
- Intervention programs from Family Services
- Curling through local Curling Club
- Chess Club
- Ice skate at the local arena
Events and Activities
- Royal Canadian Legion – Remembrance Day program in November and Public Speaking contest (poster, poem, and essay contest)
- Many clubs and activities including chess, curling, Open House, Harvest Lunch, Christmas Concert with seniors, skate-a-thon, Activity Days, special lunches
- Special activities planned by Student Council
- Fundraising events