We believe in the ability of all students to learn in a safe environment that nurtures, challenges, and enables individuals to achieve their full potential. Students will develop skills enabling them to function effectively as life-long learners and responsible citizens in a global and technological society.
Haliburton Highlands Secondary School was built in 1953 and was known as Haliburton County District High School. The Haliburton County Board of Education was formed in 1968 and at that time the school was named Haliburton Highlands Secondary School. The school has had five major building renovations: 1955, 1960, 1963, 1967, and 1999 which included a new Technical Wing, Science Labs, Library, Theatre, Athletic Complex, and more classrooms.
- HHSS is home to the Red Hawk sports complex and the Northern Lights Performing Arts Pavilion
- Breakfast Nook – free nutritious snacks in partnership with Family Services
- Commencement takes place at the end of June
- Semestered school
- Aramark cafeteria provides breakfast, lunch, and snacks
School Council comprised of parents, community, students, teacher representative, and the Principal meet five times during the school year.
- Language and arts program includes music, art, and drama
- Math, science, and technology fosters community partnerships and extends projects into the community
- Hospitality and Tourism offers a 2300 square foot room with 5 cooking areas, dining tables, computer lab, and front-of-house reception
- Many athletic opportunities are available emphasizing participation and sportsmanship
- Life skills programs and regular classroom integration and remediation
- Guidance career centre offers individual counselling as well as counselling offered through Community Support Services
- OPP partnership
- Up-to-date computer facilities and technical students’ program – project oriented, student driven
- SHSM offered in Hospitality and Tourism and Environment program
- Co-op Program and Eat Smart Program
- A Learning Centre offers assistance for student success
Events and Activities
- Charitable fundraising events: Terry Fox, Interact Club, Eco Club, and GSA
- Educational assemblies on Remembrance Day, alcohol, drugs, harassment/bullying, smoking.
- School dances, spirit days
- Active student activity council
- Honours award program