LINDSAY, ON –Trillium Lakelands District School Board approved a new multi-year strategic plan at last night’s board meeting. The new plan highlights three main focus areas for high levels of student achievement: innovation and collaboration in learning for all; supporting the well-being of all; and valuing the strength of everyone’s voice.
The new plan was developed after an extensive, engaging, and innovative consultation called “Your Voice Matters.” Two consultation sessions were held in April and in May and a unique online engagement tool gathered thoughts from staff, students, parents, and community members.
“This new plan is the amazing result of hearing what people had to say about what they liked, what they didn’t like, and what they’d like to see added to our strategic planning,” stated Board Chair, Louise Clodd, “This will guide our system leadership and our trustees in their planning and conversations around helping students become the very best they can be.”
The 2016-2021 Strategic Plan will be used by senior administrators to develop their annual action plan for the upcoming 2016-2017 school year. Each of the three main focus areas have corresponding ways that the board is committed to high levels of student achievement.
“Top themes, chosen by everyone who participated in Your Voice Matters, have been woven into the development and wording of this new plan,” states Director of Education Larry Hope, “I am looking forward to our continued planning using the words in this strategic plan as our guide. It encompasses engagement on all levels, as was expressed in our previous plan. It also speaks to our commitment to educating the whole child which includes not only teaching and learning, but also well-being.”
TLDSB 2016-2021 STRATEGIC PLAN
In TLDSB we are committed to high levels of student achievement through:
INNOVATION AND COLLABORATION IN LEARNING FOR ALL
We accomplish this by:
- identifying strengths and needs of each student to provide appropriate programming;
- supporting innovation in the classroom;
- advancing new technologies for learning;
- providing relevant and timely learning opportunities;
- learning in the natural environment; and
- enhancing the arts in our schools.
SUPPORTING THE WELL-BEING OF ALL
We accomplish this by:
- embedding Feed All Four (our mind, body, spirit, emotions) as our way of being;
- growing and improving students through intentional assessment and evaluation;
- using physical activity to improve our bodies and brains;
- providing safe, caring and inclusive learning environments; and
- increasing mental health understanding to reduce stigma.
VALUING THE STRENGTH OF EVERYONE’S VOICE
We accomplish this by …
- seeking student perspectives and responding to what we hear;
- working alongside parents as partners in programming and learning;
- strengthening a focus on being in service to our community;
- welcoming collaboration with our community partners; and
- sharing our stories.
The full plan will be given a name and presented to school administrators and school staff at the start of the new school year. The Your Voice Matters campaign results will soon be published on the board website. Visitors to the website will be able to see the themes that emerged from the consultation as well as the thoughts and stars provided by participants.