Mariposa Elementary School endeavours to provide the instruction and support necessary for its students to achieve the intellectual, emotional, social, and physical growth they will need to be successful citizens in a dynamic future.
Mariposa ES was built in 1972 and is extremely proud of its 40 year heritage. At the time of its construction, there were numerous one-room schoolhouses in our attendance areas, along with the larger Little Britain and Oakwood schools. These buildings closed to form the consolidated Mariposa School, appropriately named after Stephen Leacock’s Mariposa Crossing. Mariposa is also the Spanish word for ‘butterfly’ and our school team logo is the ‘Monarch’.
- Regular instruction program from junior kindergarten to grade 8
- Full Day Early Learning Kindergarten program
- Grade 1 to 8 classes with an integrated special education program
- Community atmosphere where character counts
- Very active student body, extensive extra-curricular activities in the areas of music, drama, athletics, and academics
- Supportive parents with an involved School Council
Parents and staff work closely to ensure that students have many expanded opportunities for academic success. Parent involvement is valued in all aspects of school life.
- School wide focus on literacy and mathematics with high expectations for all students
- Strong student council providing student input to administration
- Effective school based resource team providing early identification and programming for at-risk students
Events & Activities
- Variety of fun league and extra-curricular activities focusing on participation and nurturing team sportsmanship skills and a love for the arts
- Overnight field trips
- Clubs and choirs