Cardiff Elementary School has created a Peace Tree to help promote peace in their school. The Peace Tree was created in partnership with YWCA Women’s Centre in Haliburton and their “Week Without Violence” campaign. Throughout the week staff and students have been writing words they believe will help promote peace in their school and local and global community, and placing their words on the Peace Tree. The Peace Tree has even expanded into the classroom as teachers encourage discussion on ways students can advocate and promote peace.
Below are some ideas students have shared:
- “I make peace when I share with others”
- “I can keep peace in our world when I help others”
- “On the playground take turns and be nice”
- “Peace means to speak kindly and to include others in your games”
- “You can keep peace by not interrupting other people”