Aims of Core French
- To provide fundamental communication skills in French, and an understanding of the nature of the language and its culture.
- To offer students the chance to develop a usable command of French.
Aims of French Immersion
- To develop and refine students’ ability to communicate in French.
- To expand students’ knowledge of the language through the study of francophone literature and culture.
How is French Immersion taught?
- In senior kindergarten, Grades 1, 2, and 3, instruction in French is provided 80 –100% of the time.
- Grade 4 to 6 students have a minimum of 60% French instruction.
- In Grades 7 and 8, the balance between English and French is 50/50.
- Math is taught in English from grades four to eight. Science is the other subject that is primarily taught in English after Grade 3.
NOTE: English is used to communicate between the school and home.
Children entering the program may register for JK at the school they will attend for French Immersion. The program usually starts at the SK level.
All TLDSB French Immersion schools are dual-track, which means there are regular English classes as well as French Immersion.
Yes. Teachers use the same curriculum documents to plan programs.
Do I have to be able to speak French?
No. French Immersion is intended for English families.
Will my child be behind in English?
Research shows that there may be a lag in the development of some English language skills in the early years, but by Grade 6, Immersion students have caught up.
How can I help my child?
Read in English to your child and discuss experiences on a daily basis. No special activities are required.
What type of French will be taught?
Standard French vocabulary and grammar is taught. Students are exposed to regional accents and terminology.
What is Extended French?
A secondary school program offering 7 credits in French.
Leslie Frost Public School (Lindsay)
I.E. Weldon Secondary School (Lindsay)
Monck Public School (Bracebridge)
Riverside Public School (Huntsville)
Huntsville Public School (Huntsville)
Bracebridge & Muskoka Lakes S.S. (Bracebridge)
J. Douglas Hodgson Elementary School (Haliburton)
Stuart W. Baker Elementary School (Haliburton)