TLDSB has offered a number of Alternative Programs to students during the 2014 – 15 school year. Alternative programming was made available for students with limited social/extra-curricular opportunities, for those needing alternative ways to stay engaged, as well as students who needed help in developing social and leadership skills. Twenty-five schools and 37 different types of opportunities were made available to students, including:
- Fitness memberships (Swimming, Pilates)
- Equine Assisted Learning
- Art Therapy, Expressive Sand Play
- Smart Serve, First AID, CPR Certifications
- Workshops on Mental Health First Aid, Wellness, Food and Culture
- Leadership Experiences, and more.
These Alternative Programming opportunities helped TLDSB students in developing leadership skills, building self-confidence and self-esteem, strengthening social connections, enhancing learning, engaging learners, creating relationships, and ensuring inclusive school communities.